Spring in Boston

While Flat Stanley loved pizza night, he really wanted to see Boston. He told me, "Roro, Aly told me that in Boston, there's lots of snow."

I explained, "Well, yes. In the winter time there can be a lot of snow. But right now it's spring, so all the snow has melted."

Flat Stanley was disappointed. "Well, then what are we going to do?"

"Ah, spring is just as exciting as snow," I told him. "Because all winter when it's snowy and icy and cold, most people like to stay inside. But now that it's spring, everyone is excited to be outside."

"Really?" asked Flat Stanley. "Well, then I'm excited, too. What am I excited about?"

"For one thing, after months with no leaves on the trees and no grass on the ground, there are lots and lots of flowers."


"Like this, Roro?" Flat Stanley asked.


"And these?"


"Look, Roro!" Then Flat Stanley started singing, "Tip toe, through the tulips. Tip toe, through the tulips."

"Actually," I explained, "those are daffodils, not tulips."

Flat Stanley thought about it for a minute, then started singing again, "Dip doe, drew da daffodils. Dip doe, drew da daffodils."

After singing and dancing and dip doing, Flat Stanley asked, "Flowers are really great. But what else do you do during the spring that you don't do during the winter?"

"Well," I replied, "people are more likely to do things outside, like go for a walk or ride bike."


"Oh!" squealed Flat Stanley. "I love bike rides. I'm ready to go."

However, we didn't have a flat helmet for Flat Stanley, so we couldn't go. I said, "How about we take a walk along the river?"

"There's a river here?" asked Flat Stanley.

"Why sure. Let's go see."


"Roro!" exclaimed Flat Stanley. "The river!!! And look, there are boats on the river."

"Yes," I told him. "People sail and kayak and canoe on this river. See what I mean, people really like spring."

"So do I! But, Roro, doing all this stuff makes me tired. Can we do spring stuff that isn't as much work?" asked Flat Stanley.

"Well, I'm glad you asked," I replied. "We can do the most favorite spring past time. Sitting on the ground at a park."


"Like this?"

"Perfect, Flat Stanley," I told him. "Of course, if you're going to sit at the park, you should have a picnic."

"Oh," shouted Flat Stanley. "I love picnics. Aly and I have picnics all the time."


"Here you go," I said. "Cheese and crackers on our picnic."

After we'd had our fill of eating and relaxing at the park, I told him, "There's one more thing that happens when spring starts; baseball season starts." So we hopped on the T and went down to Fenway Park.


"This is awesome, Roro. Is this where the Yankees play?" Uh oh.