When in Rome, Flat Stanley eats pizza

Once we got off the train from Paris, we set off through the city to look at some of the ancient Roman ruins.



When we got to the Colosseum, Flat Stanley asked, "Roro, why is that building falling apart?"

"That is one of the most famous buildings from ancient Rome. It was the largest amphitheater ever built by the Romans and has survived wars, earthquakes, and looters," I tried to explain.



Flat Stanley looked interested, but confused, so I went on. “Thousands of years ago, Rome was not yet a part of Italy, because there was no Italy. Instead it was ruled by the ancient Romans, like Julius and Augustus Cesar. You can see how much of Europe, Asia and Africa they controlled.

“The Roman Empire was large, encompassing much of Europe, Africa, and Asia. After the fall of the Roman Empire, there was no longer a centralized government. Instead, all the countries that exist today eventually formed…”

“Roro?” Flat Stanley interrupted. “How long is a thousand years? Is it more than 10 years?” Hmm. I decided to end the history lesson and just show him the sites, so we jumped on a bike and headed out along the Appian Way.

Once well out of the city, Flat Stanley saw these huge structures and exclaimed: "Roro! Is that a really long bridge?"

"Those are the Ancient Aqueducts, Flat Stanley."



"Roro. I don't see any ducks. I don't even see chickens or crows or any birds."

"Not 'ducks'. An aqueduct is basically a bridge that carries water into the city."

"Wow!" cried Flat Stanley. Then he asked, "And the ducks then swim in the water to the city?"

"No," I responded. "Just water. No ducks."

Then we came across the ancient catacombs and went down to investigate. While we were down there, Flat Stanley whispered, "Roro, I've been looking in all the chambers and I don't see any of the cats or their combs."



"Well, Flat Stanley, you won't find cats down here." I told him. "This is where people buried their loved ones after they passed away."

"Really?!?" exclaimed a surprised Flat Stanley. "Does that mean there are cat ghosts here? I think we should leave."

So we climbed out of the catacombs and back on the bike and headed towards the city. On the way, we came across a farm.

"Look, Flat Stanley. Here you will see animals." And as I turned around I realized that Flat Stanley had already figured that out.



"Roro, I found some sheep!"

"Well, where there are sheep, there's also cheese, Flat Stanley."

"Oh, Roro!" cried Flat Stanley. "I'm so hungry from all the bike riding. I could really use some cheese."

We went to the cheese cave where the shepherd made her cheese.



"Roro, I've never seen so much cheese!!!"

But the shepherd told us that the cheese wasn't ready to eat. So we headed back to the city with empty bellies.

Fortunately we weren't too far from the city and quickly got to the North Gate and the Plaza of the People.



"But, Roro," said Flat Stanley. I don't see a gate. All I see is this building."

"In ancient times, there would have been a large gate that the Romans could close to keep bad guys out. But in more modern times, great Italian Baroque architects constructed this gate as a work of art."

"Hmm. I thought art had to be framed and hung on a wall. I didn't think it could be the wall," questioned an unconvinced Flat Stanley.

"Well, let's go look at some other examples of Baroque art." With that, I took Flat Stanley to the Trevi Fountain.

I explained to Flat Stanley, "Remember the aqueducts we saw outside the city? Well, they bring the water into the city for these fountains."

"That's cool, Roro. But where are the ducks? And what is all that money doing in the fountain?"

"Well, the legend has it that if you throw a coin in the fountain, you will return to Rome. Do you want to throw a coin?"


"Yes, Roro. I want to come back. I have to see one of those ducks."

Right after Flat Stanley threw his coin, he turned around and saw something that made his jaw drop.



"Roro, that sign says that there is pizza around here!" yelled Flat Stanley.

"Actually, Flat Stanley, it says 'piazza' which means 'plaza' in Italian. That's just a road sign."

But by that time Flat Stanley's mouth was watering and I knew I had to get him something to eat quickly. So we went to a gelato shop and I got him some coconut cream gelato.



"This ice cream is so yummy. Roro, if I throw this ice cream cone in the fountain, will that mean that I will come back to Rome and get more ice cream?" asked Flat Stanley.

"I don't think it's worth it," I told him, but he didn't agree and in the fountain went the gelato.

Still hungry, we left the fountain and headed to see Il Vittoriale.

"Now I can believe that this building is art, Roro! Look at all the statues, and marble, and columns," said Flat Stanley, the budding art critic.



"What's interesting is that many modern Romans think that this looks like a big wedding cake."

"Cake? Oh, Roro, I'm so hungry," cried Flat Stanley. "Let's go find some of that piazza to eat."

"I don't know about pizza, but I can show you another example of Baroque art, the Fountain of the four Rivers."

"Wow, Roro. This is pretty. What's that long tower in the middle?" asked Flat Stanley.



"That's an obelisk. The ancient Romans erected them in the middle of the circus. And this used to be the place of Circus Agonalis," I explained.

Flat Stanley's eyes widened. "There was a circus here? With elephants and a trapeze?"

"Not exactly. The ancient circus was just a space for huge games like chariot races. The obelisk would be in the middle and the chariots would make a huge oval around it," I told Flat Stanley. "Eventually, the idea of a circus changed to become the ones we have today with tents and animals and performers. Let's go see another obelisk by the Pantheon."



"This looks a lot like the other tower, but it's a lot shorter, Roro."

"That's right, Flat Stanley. The ancient Romans took a lot of obelisks, like this one, from ancient Egypt as a prize of conquest." I explained. "Look, you can see the Egyptian hieroglyphics along the side."

"Oh, those things that look like pictures?"

"Exactly!" I told Flat Stanley. "And then later, the Romans started making them on their own, but tried to make them look like the Egyptian ones, but often tried to make them better, and sometimes taller. But they're always very similar in style to the Egyptian one."

Then we walked across the plaza and went into the Pantheon.



"Roro, this place is very dark," whispered Flat Stanley. "What is it?"

"It's the Pantheon. It's a place that the Romans built in order to worship all their gods."

"There used to be more than one god?" asked Flat Stanley.

"The Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, and many other civilizations all believed in multiple deities. They were polytheistic," I explained. "The dome is one of the world's largest unreinforced concrete domes and is probably meant to represent the heavens...Flat Stanley?"

While I was trying to explain ancient Roman architecture to Flat Stanley he ran off to read another road sign.



"Look, Roro!" shouted Flat Stanley. "Pizza! I think we're getting close."

I knew that I had to get Flat Stanley some pizza and soon so we sat down at a cafe next to the piazza.



When the waiter arrived, Flat Stanley did not hesitate. "We want pizza!" he exclaimed. And a short time later, we had pizza.



"Roro," Flat Stanley said with a mouth full of pizza. "This is the best pizza ever!"

After we finished our pizza I had one more site to show Flat Stanley.



"Flat Stanley," I said, "This is the Arch of Constantine. It was constructed as a celebration of triumph."

Flat Stanley smiled and said, "And we were triumphant today. We found the pizza!"